Aloha and welcome! Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam (JBPHH) combines two historic bases into a single joint installation to support both Air Force and Navy missions, along with our tenant commands, service members and their families. By capitalizing on best practices of both services, we will continue to improve and increase our warfighting readiness, maximize delivery of installation support services throughout the joint base, and capture efficiencies as opportunities arise.
One of the Navy's busiest harbors, JBPHH's mission is to enable maximum mission readiness of our tenant commands and activities by providing the highest quality installation services, facilities support and quality of life programs. Annually, Naval Station Pearl Harbor completed an average of 65,000 boat runs and transported 2.4 million passengers between Ford Island and other harbor locations. Navy-manned USS Arizona Memorial tour boats transport nearly 2 million visitors to the memorial each year. Naval Station owns and operates one of the Navy's largest recreation and special services programs, has its own police and security force and is responsible for DoD firefighters in 13 stations islandwide.
Located within the Hawaiian archipelago on the southern, central and western portions of the island of Oahu, the former Naval Station Pearl Harbor (NAVSTA Pearl) occupies more than 14,000 acres of land on three separate locations: Pearl Harbor Naval Complex, Naval Magazine Lualualei Branch (Lualualei Annex), and Naval Computer and Telecommunications Area Master Station Pacific (NCTAMS PAC) in Wahiawa, also known as Wahiawa Annex.
Hickam Air Force Base began as Hickam Field completed in 1938 and serving as home to the U.S. Army’s flying units in the Hawaiian Department, the Hawaiian Air Force.
Between 1948-2010, the Air Force operated the renamed Hickam Air Force Base as the primary U.S. mobility hub in the Pacific, supporting U.S. operations by servicing transient aircraft and facilitating the deployment, return and supply of service members in Korea, Vietnam, the Middle East, and on humanitarian missions.
On Oct. 1, 2010, NAVSTA Pearl integrated with Hickam Air Force Base to become Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam (JBPHH) as part of the Base Realignment and Closure Commission Law of 2005, which specified realignment of 26 bases into 12 joint bases.
When it became fully operational on Oct. 1, 2010, JBPHH combined two historic bases into a single joint installation to support both Air Force and Navy missions, along with our tenant commands, our service members and their families. By capitalizing on best practices of both services, we continue to enhance our warfighting readiness, maximize delivery of installation support services throughout the joint base, and capture identified efficiencies.